Workforce Visioning Initiative
“Economic growth is never an accident.” – Gary Sherrer
Vision: To reduce the unemployment rate in the Imperial Valley by removing barriers to economic growth and creating greater employment opportunities, resulting in economic and social sustainability for local residents and businesses.
Mission: To lead and coordinate a county-wide initiative that seeks to reduce the unemployment rate and increase economic sustainability by engaging stakeholders and creating and implementing strategies that address local needs and challenges.
Objectives and Desired Outcomes
1) As a collective group, prioritize challenges and issues facing the business community in Imperial County, as identified during business roundtables organized by the Valley’s Chambers of Commerce and Workforce Development Board.
2) Establish workable objectives to collectively address the identified challenges.
3) Develop tactics and a timeline to meet the established objectives with the overall goal of creating a highly trained and competitive labor force to ensure future business growth and a sustainable economic base for the County of Imperial.
4) Assign action plans and deliverables.
The Board will:
· Lead and coordinate the collective effort of strategizing and putting into action a plan that will support business growth and increase employment opportunities.
· Provide training in areas identified as needed by the collective group for businesses, partners, and individuals seeking employment or skills upgrade.
· Commit $135,000 for a business services contract awarded to SDSU to assist in the coordination and delivery of business services to already existing and incoming businesses.
· Invest in, and make available to partners & businesses, an economic modeling software database to help stakeholders understand, analyze, and make projections about the local labor market, education, and the economy.
· Dedicate business representatives to work with the business community, partners, and other government agencies.
· Set up a business center in the One Stop for use by local businesses and partners.